Ecommerce Marketing is ever-changing in regards to products and services that you can be purchase or promoted. With this growing industry the need in offering online options to consumers that use mobile devices, social media, and the Internet in general is ever becoming more expected and mainstream.
“ People tend to think of the web as a way to get information or perhaps as a place to carry out e-commerce. But really, the web is about accessing applications.” Marc Andreessen
“ And it’s interesting, when you look at the predictions made during the peak of the boom in the 1990s, about e-commerce, or internet traffic, or broadband adoption, or internet advertising, they were all right – they were just wrong in time.” Chris Anderson
“ I think Bush understands the Internet and the incredible expansion of global e-commerce.” Jack Kemp
Here is an interesting fact on the US retail Market:
- The US online retail market generated almost $153 billion in revenue in 2010 reports Market Line.
- The market is expected to record yearly growth of close to 11% between 2010 and 2015, when it is expected to reach almost $252 billion.
- Electronics i.e. mobile, social media, and other devices is the leading market segment, generating almost $36 billion in 2010, which represents more than 23% of the overall market in terms of value.
In regards to the above facts what type of ecommerce model do you want to promote or be engaging in?
Here are few examples to be considered:
Vanity Ecommerce Website
- Promotes an Interest or a Hobby
- Usually starts with a blog from an individual seeking to discuss there interest
- These sites typically don’t earn large sums of money
- Common advertising income usually arrives from Google AdSense
- Allow you sell products via websites
- Products may be manufactured by the seller or sold via drop shipping
- Common example of this site is Amazon
Storefront Ecommerce Website
Membership Ecommerce Website
- This distribute information to its readers or subscriber’s some common examples are Newspaper and Legal Research Sites
- If you have a high level of expertise in any particular field this offers you an opportunity to generate revenue
Business-to-Business Ecommerce Website
- Allow you the ability to sell products or service to other businesses online
- This gives the business the opportunity on forfeiting their physical locations
- Permit business owners to save money and time
Affiliate Marketing Ecommerce Website
- Sells products or services for another company in exchange for commission
- This allows anyone to own a business
- You don’t have to build a product
- You don’t have to create a product
- You don’t have to provide a service
- Great examples of this will be E-Books, Training Programs, Dating Sites, & GoDaddy.com
Each of these websites has their own advantages and disadvantages depending on what you want to accomplish or the mission of the organization. That being said you must be careful on what and how you promote this marketplace.